Friday, October 22, 2010

Who do you think you are?




I'm often conflicted with the ideas of whether or not to post a blog or comment on things. Who am I to say that my words carry any sort of great worth out into the universe. That's just pompous... right?

Over the summer I had a friend absolutely humbled by the role he was cast for in a musical. He was certainly talented enough for the part. He can sing well, he's a capable actor, there was no preferential treatment given to him in terms of casting. He even looked the part but for a long while, and despite constant and honest encouragement, he couldn't accept that he was worthy of depicting his character. I should probably mention that he was cast as Jesus Christ.

Now, I understand the enormity of attempting to depict such an epic person/God come down/saviour of the world and having to live up to that but the fact of the matter is that my friend honestly was the best man for the role.

I've come to the conclusion that I am nobody in this matter. Just another voice against the ocean of the rest of humanity. It's not for me to decide my own worth. I'm worthy of myself, (this is mostly a useless tautology but in this context I'm using it to differentiate from being worthy of others) that's obvious and unavoidable so to decide your own worth based on your own existence is just a dizzying exercise in futility.

If anybody gets to decide if the world should care about what I do it shouldn't be me. If the world doesn't deem it worthy of being caught it will not catch it. Then, I presume, I'll be no worse off and no more alone than I was in the first place. That's cool. If the world does happen to catch the general direction of the drift of my idea. Then that's cool too.

1 comment:

airMiguel said...

In reference to whether one's words carry any weight of worth in this world, consider the following.

Identify the audience. Is it the world, a nation, a society, a group or an individual's ear you wish your words to fall upon?

Secondly, what is your relationship to this audience?

Finally, how do you intend to portray yourself to this audience?

With all these in mind I hope it can ease some of the conflict suffered over whether you decide to share or not to share your thoughts.