Saturday, March 26, 2011

A New, Very Old Poet

A few gems from a newly discovered poet, Hafez.

This Sky:

This

Sky

Where we live

Is no place to lose your wings

So love, love

Love


Integrity:

Few
Have the strength
To be a real
Hero --

That rare
Man or Woman
Who always keeps
Their
Word.

Even an angel needs rest
Integrity creates a body so vast

A thousand winged ones will
Plead,

"May I lay my cheek
Against
You?"


I Have Learned so Much:

I
Have Learned
So much from God
That I can no longer call myself

A Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim
A Buddhist, a Jew.

The truth has shared so much of itself
With me

That I can no longer call myself
A man, a woman, an angel,
Or even pure
Soul.

Love has
Befriended Hafiz so completely
It has turned to ash
And freed
Me

Of every concept and image
My mind has ever known.


Different Wells In Your Heart:

There are different wells within your heart.
Some fill with each good rain,
Others are far too deep for that.

In one well
You have just a few precious cups of water,
That “love” is literally something of yourself,
It can grow as slow as a diamond
If it is lost.

Your love
Should never be offered to the mouth of a stranger,
Only to someone
Who has the valor and daring
To cut pieces of their soul off with a knife
Then weave them into a blanket to protect you.





No comments: